You don’t need coronavirus antibodies – but why not?
You don’t need coronavirus antibodies in order to be immune to coronavirus infection.
You don’t need coronavirus antibodies to prove you are immune, either.
In fact, according to this interview with Professor Karl Friston, the great majority of people are already immune to covid-19 without any antibodies at all, and were not even susceptible to it in the first place.
Why is this? Let’s take a closer look.
Professor Karl Friston’s interview is as free of political and or commercial interest as I have found so far in this extremely politicised subject. He’s just a scientist looking calmly at the data with a measured, cool curiosity that any good scientific analysis needs to go beyond the obvious prejudices and become truly insightful.
What this scientist is saying is actually radical and (hopefully with modesty) I have to say reflects or is coherent with many of the observations and conclusions I have come to myself. Let’s go through and reflect on some of his most important, startling points.
You don’t need coronavirus antibodies when you were not susceptible in the first place
The virus has already ripped through 95% plus of the population.
Most people, in his estimate 80%, were not susceptible to developing covid-19 symptoms.
In many, many people they did not even react sufficiently to the virus to develop an antibody response.
This could have been because the viral load exposure was insufficient to cause that to happen. Either the non-specific/innate immune system components handled it or maybe the immune system in general did not perceive a sufficient threat.
So if you don’t need coronavirus antibodies… Who should be considered immune, even if they don’t have antibodies?
I believe that these people who have been exposed and did not “fall sick” with symptoms should be considered immune until further notice (“innocent until proven guilty”).
This holds true WHETHER OR NOT THEY HAVE CREATED ANTIBODIES TO THE VIRUS!!!!
This is extremely important: we have to let go of the obstinate belief that the only measure of “immunity” is being antibody seropositive.
Why are so many people not even susceptible to Covid-19?
Professor Karl Friston talks about the “dark matter of immunity” – that collective unknown factor which accounts for the fact that so many people – apparently without clearly definable reasons – remain “unsusceptible” to the virus (brushing it away like an unwanted fly).
What gave these people that power? Well, in my humble opinion it was our basic, unadulterated, natural immunity or enough of it to react appropriately to the viral exposure.
A closer look at which groups are more susceptible to Covid-19
The immune system has to walk the line between self-defence and self-tolerance.
I believe that those who become sick from covid-19, and in many cases die, fall into two categories:
- Insufficient immune response – the very old are simply incapable of mounting an immune response that could disable and remove the virus.
- Uncontrollable inflammatory response – in these typically younger people, the immune system reacts unpredictably and tragically with an exaggerated response that ends up in the destruction of host tissue and vital physiological processes to such an extent that they fall very sick and many unfortunately lose their lives.
How to identify the ones who are susceptible for reasons other than age
There are various reasons why those in the second group would become susceptible, in spite of not being old. Among these could be included the following possibilities:
- Diagnosable comorbidities: Many of them suffer from co-morbidities such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, COPD or metabolic syndrome. I also strongly suspect auto-immunity is a co-morbidity but I haven’t seen that mentioned in anything I have yet read.
- Sub-clinical comorbidities: In my opinion, this group will also prove to be predictive of susceptibility. These people would be in a disease process which is not yet diagnosable but which is nevertheless in process. Examples could include those with insulin resistance, insulinemia, elevated inflammatory or auto-immune markers, and cellular issues related to oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction.
- One key marker in this is vitamin D status. Measuring 25-OH levels in the blood will unmask an obvious deficiency – which will apply to the majority of people. It will also show just how bad the situation is. That said, it is not a complete determinant of sufficiency because it does not account for how well the final active form of vitamin D is synthesised and/or the true need in any given individual. Again genetics and epigenetic factors must be accounted for. Notwithstanding that, knowing your vitamin D level is a good place to start.
The multifactorial, mosaic nature of these populations
So there are many factors which determine our resilience, such as:
- Exposure to drugs and medical interventions
- Already existing chronic infections
An obvious factor is viral load – how much of the virus you are actually exposed to.
Those who are susceptible must inevitably come into contact with the virus and will then become infected and act as viral factories shedding significant amounts of the virus. So how we identify and manage this section of the population is key to managing viral load in local situations.
If the virus has gone through us all then why are we still seeing deaths? Well, because like anything natural it ebbs and flows, and so even though I might have handled a certain level of viral load exposure in the past, a new perhaps higher viral load exposure in the future may be sufficient to tip the balance in favour of the sickness.
And so the chess match of nature’s web of life continues…
We should beware of thinking that we can completely control this game. For every move we make to “destroy” or “declare war” on the enemy, nature adapts, mutates and adjusts strategy – often coming back with a greater force – and our hubris is exposed once again.
The limitations of government and social interaction interventions – how much can they actually deliver?
While flattening the curve has been a real objective, we should beware of more false pride in relation to our ability to control nature. Viruses have been figuring out how to invade other species for much longer than humans have walked the planet.
I agree with this scientist, Professor Karl Friston, when he states that government and social distancing interventions are limited in their effectiveness.
Ultimately if this had been such a crucial factor we would have seen a far greater differential in the mortality rates in Sweden and Ireland.
Humans have an intrinsic instinct to self-isolate when they are sick. This is true no matter how many emergency laws we impose upon ourselves.
Why truly free discussion and analysis uncontaminated by special interests are more important than ever
True science is interested in nothing but the truth. This speaker, Professor Karl Friston, falls into this category, but unfortunately so much of the discourse around covid-19 has degenerated into propaganda:
- Profit-seeking interests seeking to influence political decisions
- Governments pretending to protect their citizens through lockdowns and severe social distancing “until we can find a cure”
- Contamination of agencies such as the WHO which we should be able to unconditionally trust, but can no longer rely on for unbiased information
- Scientific studies published in established scientific journals which have serious questions in terms of their findings and how they arrived at them
- Confusion on all sides as contradictory arguments, half truths and downright lies compete with each other for our attention
The result of all this is ignorance, fear, confusion and loss of trust in anything.
This is an ideal mix to limit or destroy democracy, freedom of speech and movement, integrity and honesty – the very foundations upon which we build civilised society.
The “enemy” is not a little piece of protein which can only come to life inside a human being. The enemy is ourselves – our own self-destruction through greed, untamed ego and separation… and the ignorance, fear and hatred these dark energies inevitably generate.